, ,

Marathon Monday has always been one of my favorite days of the year. It’s always fun. It’s hard to describe if you’ve never been in Boston on Marathon Monday. The love for this day is something Greg & I have always shared.

This year still coming off my long winter of chemo we didn’t have any plans, but a few days before there were Red Sox tickets still available and advertisements of reduced prices on beer and food at the park…score! So, off to Fenway we went for the 11 am game (not quite as early as in our rock star days like last year, when we met friends at the Cask & Flagon at 8:30 am – yikes!). The seats were great, the game was great, and they won with a walk-off double in the bottom of the ninth in true Marathon Monday fashion (although most people never heard that because there were no highlights shown that night). After the game, we watched the runners come down Beacon Street into Kenmore Square. It was the first year in a long time neither of us knew anybody running, I guess getting old is a good thing! So, we went to Boston Beer Works and we all know what happened from there. Wow, I can’t even tell you how many times I stood and watched the runners from right where the second bomb went off. Unbelievable, horrible.

Tuesday morning, a friend of mine (that used to work at Yankee Candle) was held hostage at gunpoint for 3 hours by a disgruntled employee. He is now the CFO at a small company in Southern California. The employee let everyone else leave the building but my friend until the hostage negotiators talked her down without anyone getting hurt. Crazy!

Since I had my fill of constant reminders that life is short and very fragile, it was a good time to get started on my radiation treatments Tuesday. The hardest part so far is getting used to the daily schedule and already 3 out of the 5 days they have called to reschedule me until later in the afternoon due to delays or down equipment. Polly Planner is still adjusting! Although, the treatment itself only takes a few minutes, the process takes about an 1 1/2 hrs with the travel and set-up time. So glad I am doing it in their new Milford facility instead of going to Boston everyday.

Here is the machine. I lay on my back with my arms above my head in the stir-rips.

The first week is now done. It’s fine so far, I just don’t really like the daily reminder of my illness.

Although I am glad the worst parts of this cancer stuff are over, there is still much to do. Friday I was due to go back to the Boston Dana-Farber for my Herceptin infusion (now every 3 weeks), but there was a madman on the loose and the city was in lockdown. Crazy! So, they had me come in Sunday morning instead. It’s only a half hour infusion, not bad. I’ll continue to do this every third Friday through the end of the calendar year.

Sorry for rambling on, but it was a weird, weird week. Despite what feels like a never ending treatment schedule, I am very thankful for my life – it’s a good one!